Pages

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Skulls and Such

First off, I want to point out that I believe time is conspiring against me. Since starting this blog my life has become infinitely more busy, which, don't get me wrong, is a good thing because when I have very little to do I rarely have the urge to get anything done, but where have all the national holidays gone...(we could use a few more, thanx)

Anyway, this illustration is in ink and charcoal, and according to someone I know (you know who you are) could be my ticket to the high-life via bike week t-shirt sales.  It's not that I planned it out that way, and I typically avoid skulls like the plague, but recently started taking notice of a very popular gallery artist who makes his entire living off of skull paintings.  As if trying to find my own artistic calling, so to speak, wasn't difficult enough, I might change direction and start intentionally throwing massive globs of cliché at the canvas.

Now, for people who might take offense because they love skulls and studs and rhinestones...don't be silly, for I too love all of these things (minus the rhinestones).  I just find the idea of painting one thing a million times in different color schemes a bit redundant (a bit?...I mean VERY).  Would you choose to bake the same cake over and over again just with different types of sprinkles? At some point the practice gained wouldn't matter, and all growth as a baker would come to a screeching halt.  Well, anyway, you get my point...hehehe

So here's the illustration, which I do actually like.  The first few images are after I finished the basic outline, then they progress to the finished piece.  I suppose it's a skull in some type of space-age helmet. I want to avoid going too deep here with the meaning, though it does have one. Someone care to interpret it in their own way? Comment below:))









No comments:

Post a Comment